On Sunday at the post-game press conference, Miguel Mendez underlined that on Wednesday the team was expecting to have a tough game. Ekaterinburg welcomed one of the toughest Group A opponents and so far until now USK Praha moved on facing no defeats. However, the best words to describe that game– it was a great night or UMMC and a nightmare for USK.
The hosts kicked off the game making mistakes, but the game turned into and exciting and emotional show. The intrigue might have been interesting for the fans, but unfortunately, it vanished in the first period.
Miguel Mendez’s team was running the show dictating its will on court and widened the scope gap with every next quarter. In the very end, the home side allowed the guests to score few points.
Maria Vadeeva top scored and collected double-double 18 points and 14 rebounds. UMMC players scored double digits. Kayla McBride got 16 points and 5 assists, Alba Torrens chipped in with 13 points and 6 assists, Emma Meesseman harvested 13 points, while Brittney Griner missed a single shot to collect double-double – 8 points and 12 rebounds.
Alena Hanusova and Katerina Elhotova each scored 9 points for the visiting side.
UMMC center Maria Vadeeva:
- It was good game. We moved well in the fast breaks and scored, showed good team interaction. It was a good game. -Did you expect that tonight it might be an easy walk? I trusted our team and was sure that together we will play well and it all happened exactly that way.
- You showed great interaction with Brittney Griner tonight. Did you work together at the trainings?
- We always get ready, have a lot of trainings and always try to invent something new, something unusual both in offense and defense.
- We read in one of the interviews that you always braid your hair. Does it help you?
- Yes, I always play with the braid. That is my ritual. Once I came to the training with a ponytail and had my hair all over the eyes and I saw nothing.
UMMC Head Coach Miguel Mendez:
- I am happy the way we played today. We followed our game plan very good, showed good defense for all 40 minutes. We gathered the team together and played defense together and that was important. We also shared the ball in offense and looked for opportunities for everybody in offense.
- Did you expect the game outcome might be so easy?
I did not expect the game to be an easy one. We practice every day. We have very professional players and we use every practice to prepare for the next game and play it in the best way. We respect all other opponents and always play one hundred percent on our maximum.
UMMC is having the next match on December 5 in France visiting Bourges Basket. Meanwhile on December 2 Foxes are going to have the next domestic tournament road game against Enisey in Krasnoyarsk.