Alba Torrens starred with a scintillating 30-point outing, whilst adding 7 rebounds. Kristi Toliver and Britney Griner each added 16-point contribution.
Kayla McBride competing for the visiting side scored 24 points.
Yakin Dogu center Sandrine Gruda:
- I am very proud of what we done today coming here and perform like we did. We won 3 quarters and it was very good. Now we need to be more consistent with our effort. I feel like to win, to be better to win the championship our goal it to be good for 40 minutes. There is no secret. So we see what we need to work on. We turned the ball over way too much. 16 turnovers is too much for the game. We were good in rebounding. So overall, we did a good job. However, we need to be more consistent.
Yakin Dogu Head Coach:
- Zafer Kalaycioglu: Last year we were playing in the EuroCup and we won. This is our first year in the EuroLeague and our group is really very hard then the other group. I believe that all of our group four teams may go to Final Four. Kursk is a very good team, but I believe we can handle it. I believe that our group is more harder than other groups. When we check Ekaterinburg roster it is like an All Star game team with Meesseman, Sanders, Nolan, Toliver and others. We did a good job. It looks like that. We could win the game and it was very important for us to finish in the first position in our group. Nevertheless, we did a great job tonight. The breaking point of the game was backcourt 3-point shots. In the last moment, we missed 2 important turnovers and we lost the game. Our group is hard and I believe that Ekat, Fener and other teams will lose one or two games, so the most important thing is how to finish our group. We have to keep fighting to get to the Final Four and make the best for our club Yakin Dogu Universitesi.
UMMC forward Alba Torrens:
- It was a really tough game. We were playing against good team with good players. This a good win for us. It was our goal to win this game and we knew that it would be very difficult. I just want to say one thing. You do not win these games against good teams if you do not play like a team. Tonight we did a really good team effort. Of course, there are things that we can improve. We made some mistakes today and now it is time to fix them and keep going. In the end, everyone put effort and did their best. Today maybe I scored more, but this is not important. What is important that we won. We know that we can keep improving in both offense and defense. So we happy with this win, because it was a tough win. We must keep going and keep working all together.
UMMC Head Coach Olaf Lange:
- We won a game kind of a little bit luckily at some stages against a very good pick and roll team. If you look at the score sheet you will see that 3 quarters we were behind. Defensively we had a number of issues. We came together, found some momentum, some rhythm and were able to pretty much win the game in the fourth quarter. We expected it to be a tough game, because we went out on court after the Christmas break, while the opponent did not have such long vacations.
- How is Nika Baric doing?
- Nika Baric is injured. She has a very uncommon knee injury; I have never her of it. She will be off for 6 weeks. That is another reason why it was very difficult for us, because Toliver is still not in shape due to a break. At the point guard position we are not deep enough, that is why this game was very difficult for us. We had one of the best players pick and roll players on the other side so it was a very tough game.
After ten rounds, UMMC tops the EuroLeague Women Group B standings.
Our team is having the next EuroLeague group round match on January 10 in Istanbul against Turkish Fenerbahche. Meanwhile on January 6 in Ekaterinburg Foxes are going to face Inventa from Kursk at DIVS Arena. The game starts at 17.00. The match will be livestreamed on-line at the official Youtube channel.