UMMC leader Diana Taurasi harvested 21 points and dished out 6 assists. Natalia Vieru missed one rebound to go with the double-double: 12 points and 9 rebounds, while Brittney Griner added 14 points and 7 rebounds followed by 10 points from Nika Baric. The visiting side had 13 points from Endene Miyem and 11 points from Cecilia Zandalasini.
Familia Schio forward Cecilia Zandalasini:
-We did our best, but we knew that it would be hard because Ekaterinburg is one of the best team and it probably will win the EuroLeague. We tried hard, but they have top players from all over the world.
- How can you explain the troubles that your team had in the beginning of the game?
- In the beginning, our defense did not work so well and we had a lot of troubles with Brittney Griner holding her back.
UMMC center Natalia Vieru:
- It was the first EuroLeague Women Play-off game for us, so we got ready, were focused, went out on court with full confidence to show the best we can be. Schio is a great team, very competitive at home, so I am sure that back in Italy they will give us a big fight.
Familia Schio Head Coach Mauro Procaccini:
- We are not in good physical situation that was why it was a tough match for us. Tonight we had an incomplete team and did the best we could do. Without our key players it was hard for us, especially inside. Nevertheless, I am happy and we played well in the 2nd and 3rd periods. We started a little nervous, but then showed a normal game. It is hard to compete against UMMC with so many young players.
- According to the game stats, you were behind in all game components. How are you going to fix it prior to Game 2 in Italy?
- That is a difficult question. For now, without Isabelle Yacoubou and Jolene Anderson we have a problem inside, so probably we will have to make our forwards and guards to be more active inside.
UMMC Head Coach Olaf Lange:
- It was a good first step. Schio missed some of their key shooters and had no good match up inside. Therefore, we tried to capitalize on that for the whole game. The game result showed that we were right. On the other hand, we played hard and showed consistent game without making many mistakes.
I am happy about the game and our win, but now we must forget about it and get ready to game two. Few years ago competing on the road we lost to Schio. Now, Schio will play at home, they will have Anderson back and it will be a completely different game.
In Game 1 of the EuroLeague Women Quarter-Final best of 3 games series UMMC recorded a convincing 92:47 success over Italy and eased into a 1-0 advantage. Game 2 will take place on March 10 in Italy. Should a deciding third game be required, it will be held on March 15 in Ekaterinburg.